We all know that time that we feel motivated to create, and that time that motivation is completely gone. I see motivation in cosplay as a measure of how much you are enjoying your hobby. Are you motivated to make a costume? Are you enjoying to make that costume? If the answer to these questions is no, you probably need a nice boost. After I finished embroidering my 6000+ beads on my princess Serenity cosplay, my motivation was totally gone. Here’s what helped me through it, maybe it helps you guys too!
Here are 10 simple tips to try and get your motivation levels up and running again. 😉
- Watch / read / play the anime, movie, book or game that the character you want to cosplay is from. Love for a character is what makes you want to cosplay in the first place, reignite that fire! Listening to the music from the show or game also helps me a lot!
- Look at photos of other cosplayers who made the same costume as you want to make. This can be both inspiring and motivating.
- Even better! Talk to other cosplayers and motivate each other.
- If you really don’t want to work on one costume anymore… choose another one. 😉 There is no rule that says you have to finish one cosplay before starting another. Of course it’s nice if you have the discipline to finish both.
- Watch tutorial videos that can give you inspiration to work on your costume. You can apply the new knowledge that you got from the videos immediately.
- Watch cosplay competitions. I always get motivated after I watch competitions at conventions. 😀
- Organize craft-days with your friends. Being with multiple people is always more fun, and you can help each other too!
- Make different parts of your costume that aren’t similar to each other. First do some sewing, then some prop making… variation makes things more fun. 😉
- Go to cosplay conventions in old costumes. Getting positive attention in your old costumes can make you feel more motivated to make new costumes too. 😉
- Last but not least: Sleep! Sleep, rest, wait, and finally your motivation will return. Sometimes you’re just too worn out, and sleep always helps. That and chocolate. 😉
My princess Serenity cosplay!