Because I’m using a lot of patterns for Cosplay (and normal clothes) I will write my opinion on patterns that are for sale by pattern companies on my blog. I buy my patterns from Naaipatronen.nl, or in sewing stores in the Netherlands. I usually make US size 10/12, or European size 36/38. My sizes are the following (for size comparison): Height: 172 cm (5’7″), Bust 88 cm (34 inch), Waist 70 cm (27 inch), Hips 105 cm (42 inch).
Pattern company: Simplicity
Pattern number: 4940
Pattern description: Fantasy dress for women
View made: View C
Recommended size by pattern: Size 14
Size made: Size 10
The instructions were clear and easy to follow. I had to read some parts twice though, it’s been a while since I last made anything from a pattern. All in all the dress is pretty straight forward. It’s got a front, and back, and sleeves. The sleeves have tunnels with ropes in them so the order of sewing them nicely was a bit more tricky.
The pattern quality is very good. All pieces fit well together.
As always the sizing’s fine as long as you make some size smaller, I always look at the finished size. I also have stretch fabric for this dress so I wasn’t afraid about the fit at all. The dress in the movie from Arwen that I used this pattern for wasn’t tight fitted either, so even though it’s very loose around my waist I left it that way.
My own alterations:
I added cap sleeves from the Game of Thrones pattern that I made before. In the movie Arwen has them and I thought it would make this dress more fancy. I know that the collar isn’t screen accurate but I didn’t change this. So really the only thing I did was add cap sleeves. 🙂 My seam allowance at the sleeves was half a centimeter less because of my muscular arms. 😉
It’s a nice quality stretch velvet. For the overlay in the collar and sleeves I used two types of lace. The thick lace edges were really pricey but I think really finished the look. 🙂
Lovely pattern, nice looking dress and relatively good sizing, especially for the type of fabric that I used and the loose fit it’s supposed to have. It was a very nice pattern in total.
Photo of my finished garment: